Yolie's World

Friday, June 17, 2005

Daniel

Here in Georgia we have the Atlanta Journal Constitution (or AJC) newspaper. In it, comes a daily "Vent" section where people can write in their opinions, thoughts, etc. Well, my mom decided to forward a pretty funny one about our local University football players, which referred to them all being criminals. Well, my brother, Daniel, responded with such passion that it made me very proud. Not to mention, he ended his rebuttal with "blog this, women!" So, I am. What makes it all so interesting is not that he said more than two words (which in itself is pretty impressive...it's usually "that's awesome" or "I already showed you how to do that, Mom!"), but rather the thought he put into saying them. So, I am posting his e-mail in my blog...he did say "blog this women!" at the end of it, so I am assuming it's ok.

"the uga vent is not funny it's a classless act itself. Don't want to see punks play, don't come to the games, i'm sure 92,000 people won't miss you but they'll miss any dismissed linebackers when a fullback is running up and down the field on us. So when did people decide that giving these players in this day and age was actually giving them an education? No, it's a chance for the NFL a chance to do the only thing they know how. So the majority of kids have never disciplined in their lives, is that their fault? Never been taught right from wrong, taken to church, they have only been put on a pedestal for playing football. So we blame them for mistakes when there is little if no supervision. Richt however tries to be a father like figure as well as head coach in one of the most competitive conferences in that nation. Are we asking too much from him? we are asking him to ruin the lives of kids who view him as much more than a coach, but a man who spends time with them and cares about them, leading them towards God, and yes disciplining them with suspensions for games. Asking him to turn his back completely on kids who may be more lost than the average person would be against his values. However, if these kids are to learn a lesson, extra laps after practice may or may not do the trick. Each one is different, obviously if kids are dismissed from the team it is because of repeat offenses and yea their priorities about football and having fun are screwed up and it is Richt's only way of making them finally responsible for their actions. But to doesn't not cut them off, he helps them find somewhere to play ball, because of these kids are disruptive with something to lose, what are they capable of when they have nothing to lose? So yes, if I had these God given abilities my college football career would most likely be flawless like David Pollack, David Greene, and kids like that. I was raised right, i was taught right from wrong, i was taken to church at an early age that so that I could make my own decision to follow the lord and let him lead my life, i had a mentors, and role models to look up to, I had others to learn from their mistakes, I was shown how having faith makes life easier to live. These "troublemakers" have had no guidance, whose fault is that? So maybe next time you read about some football player get arrested ask yourself "I wonder if their parents are proud?" or even better, "if their one parent is proud?" Because chances are maybe they don't care enough to know what's going on. All the momma's boys in football will be successful no matter what, because they have been taught to. What is the first thing athletes do when they make the big bucks? They buy their momma's new houses and move their families out of the ghetto, and if they are already home-grown kids they make lives for the families even better. Anyways, I don't blame the kids for making mistakes when they were never guided growing up. Go Dawgs! i will not miss a game this season, because the more criminal these guys are the harder they hit haha. Take care everyone, put this on your blog woman/women!"

So, now you see why I am so proud to have a brother like Daniel. I love him so much, and am grateful every day that he chose never to allow any excuse to hold him down. He's smart, handsome, hardworking, respectful and he never fails to amaze me. Mom often says I married a combination of herself and Daniel. She's right. I don't think Daniel will ever understand how precious he is to me. I cannot tell you the number of times my heart almost burst with pride as I watched Daniel play football, baseball, earn awards, and just make us all proud. But, really, what makes me happiest is when he plops down on the sofa between me and mom and gets his laptop out. He hardly says a word, instead he is just absorbed ordering something from Ebay to fix something in mom's house. Mom and I talk around him, each of us silently praying he won't get up, because his mere presence makes us happy. Now THAT is a great little brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home