Yolie's World

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Loss Issues

Jeffrey, our gineau pig, died yesterday morning. It's amazing how sad I felt about it when Chuck told me. We've had him pretty much the entire time we've lived in this house. Now, with Zeus (our beautiful Great Pyrenees) and Jeffrey both gone, the house seems very quiet. Thank God that CJ has already been born, because if I was in this house alone, without Zeus or Jeffrey, I'd feel weird. I am sad to know that CJ will not know either of these pets that Chuck and I loved so much. I do find it odd that we lost both our pets in less than three months time. Chuck wants to get an American Mastiff now. We're both dog people and it doesn't feel right not to have a dog.

As I said, I was surprised at how sad the loss was for me. I guess any loss is hard for me, since I have "issues" with saying good-bye and anything that has to do with loss. It's important for adoptive parents to understand this. Even as an adult, I have difficulty (I believe above "normal" people) saying goodbye. It just brings back so many sad memories. Oftentimes, it's the goodbyes that adoptive parents don't even see that can raise intense fears in their children. Like the end of the school year or when a school friend moves away. The kids act out their fears of losing yet another piece of their lives, and the adoptive parents only see a kid being "bad." Loss is such a fundamental fear in adopted kids, and I've found myself dealing with it twice in a short period of time, both times with pets that I loved. Again, thank God for CJ...he brightens up my life!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger QueenBee said…

    Thanks for this post. It gives me, as a soon to be adoptive parent, great insite. And I'm sorry for your losses - pets are a precious part of the family.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home