Yolie's World

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Charity and Missions

Like most, I have been glued to the television coverage of Hurriacane Katrina and all the devastation left behind. My heart has been heavy for all the people, especially the children, who are having to endure such horrific journeys. At the same time, I have been torn between how to best help. Our church has various outreaches going on right now, and I have been trying to figure out which one to participate in. I have gone through my closet and pulled out all the nice clothes that I will never wear again (mostly because I can't imagine ever being that small again, and also because some of if is very teeny-bopper and now that I'm a mom it would just look stupid). Anyway, my struggle with all of this has been what to give to the Hurricane survivors and what to give to my family members. For example, I have leftover diapers that CJ outgrew before I even opened the package. I know the survivors need diapers. I also know that I have siblings who are about to give birth, who would be very grateful for the help. I view my family as a mission field that is often overlooked. While many people go to third world countries and spend two weeks ministering (which is awesome, I've done it and it's very needed), my family is a twenty-four hour mission trip, complete with wounded and needy children. I spend alot of my time and energy on my family. I love it, and wouldn't change that for the world, but it does put in me in a spot every time a new charity needs help. My mom pointed out that it was just in my nature to give, and I do believe that's true. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it is often hard to figure out where to best put my energy. I truly feel that my contributions to my family are extremely important (as are all my family members' contributions). Our family simply would not work if we all didn't play a role. Chuck and I often give to various charities, usually through the church. But, we cannot give to everything. Yes, I could volunteer to feed the Hurricane survivors at our local shelter, or I could volunteer to babysit for mom when she needs to go to the grocery store so she can feed the birth family/foster care survivors. I do not know the answer. I have prayed that God show me clearly what He wants my contribution to be.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home