Yolie's World

Saturday, September 17, 2005

SAHM


I am so blessed to be able to be a stay-at-home mother. I find it to be the most rewarding "job" in the world. I am glad that I get the early morning snuggles, without having to worry about getting out the door in time. I am glad that I am experiencing all the "firsts" with CJ. For example, he just started reaching for my face when I am nursing him. It is so sweet. I know that not everyone can be a stay-at-home mom (although I do believe MANY can, but the sacrifices in budget living is not something they want to do), and I thank God every day that I can.

I know that one of my biggest reasons for wanting to be a SAHM (stay-at-home mom) has to do with my intense need to be a good mother. I want to give CJ all the advantages I didn't have as a young child. I want him to feel secure and loved all the time. People have asked me if I miss work yet. The truth is, I hardly think about it. At some point, I am sure I'll want to get involved somehow with adoption (as I do have a passion for it) but right now, I feel that my duty is to raise a child who will be a productive member of society. If everyone made that their priority, then there would be no need for adoption workers or DFCS offices.

Now, I know that many people think that I am just "lucky" to stay home. That statement is one of my biggest pet peeves. I am not lucky. Chuck and I worked hard to get to this point. We started dating our senior year in high school, and continued dating all the way through my Masters Degree and his Bachelors Degree. We made a conscious decision not to live together until after we were married, and we always tried to keep our heads on straight. Right from the time we knew we'd get married, we discussed our dreams. One of mine was to be a SAHM. Chuck was in total agreement, so we waited until we were financially able to begin trying to have children. Yes, it is a sacrifice. Sometimes, Chuck works from 8am to 8pm in order for us to have everything we need. I am so proud to be his wife. He often tells me that while he's at work, he thinks about us at home and he's glad to work extra hours so that CJ and I can be comfortable. So, you see, it is not luck my any means. It is hard work and sacrifice that will allow me to see my son's first steps (and not a babysitter). As he sleeps now, I look at him and wonder how I could ever drop him off somewhere and go to work. Thank God that He has blessed us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home