Yolie's World

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Where did decency go?

Last night my brother Joe and his adorable daughter came over (as they do almost every night). As we were watchign tv, we came across the American Music Awards. Now, I am only 25 years old, but the raunchy stuff I saw shocked me. No wonder we have so many problems with teenage pregnancy, drugs, etc. I actually watched a group of five or six girls singing a song with lyrics like "don't you wish your girlfriend was a hottie like me, don't you wish your girlfriend was a freak like me?" I watched as actress after actress paraded on stage wearing little to no clothing, while little girls in the audience screamed their heads off. Now, apparently, these awards are given according to online votes. So, kids went online and voted for best kissing sequence, biggest hottie, etc. Little girls screamed like crazy when Paris Hilton came onstage...she is thier idol. She also has multiple homemade adult movies out. What are our kids being taught? These are the people they look up to and want to be like. It's a tragedy. I haven't heard a kid say that Michael Jordan is thier hero in a long time. Instead, they want to be like Kobi Bryant, who while he escaped the rape charge, admittedly cheated on his wife. I am shocked by the lack of decency portrayed today. I am equally if not more shocked at the oblivious attitude that parents take regarding this issue. I see little girls (ten year olds!) walking around the mall wearing t-shirts saying "Bad Girl" and "Just ask me...I'll say yes." I've actually seen these shirts. Now, ten year olds don't have the money to buy these themselves. Parents buy them. But, why? I just don't get it. Joe actually said that when Alyssa grows up he is only allowing her to wear blue jeans and turtle necks! All joking aside, I understand his concerns. My husband said just the other day that he is not looking forward to CJ being a teenager, because of the way girls throw themselves at young men. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am so glad that my mom was tough on us. She always demanded that we present ourselves with class. Yes, we bucked her and secretly rolled up our shorts and such, but in the end we all had her voice imprinted into our heads, telling us to make her proud. Chuck, my hubby, has told me a million times over the past eight years how proud he is to be with a lady. On days that I feel fat or unattractive, he has told me that beauty doesn't come in short shorts, bare stomachs or exploding cleavage, but in classiness. I'm so glad my mom demanded this of her girls.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thats the most profound thing I've heard anyone say in a long time and I completely agree. I think that perhaps we ought to do something about this crisis for what litle we _can_ do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home