Yolie's World

Friday, July 22, 2005

Mama

mama with alyssa and scotty
mama with cj
Today is my mama's birthday and I just wanted to let the world know what an amazing woman she is. I am so proud to be her daughter, and I am even prouder that she is my son's abuelita! Unlilke most people, I can remember the first time I met my mom. I was eleven years old, eyeing this woman who was "taking us" from everything we ever knew. She came to visit us in our foster home (Joe, Daniel and I) and we were having a party. She also took us to a park and a McDonalds. The entire time she was there all I could think of was "I do not want to live with this woman. What does she know about my life and how coul dshe possible try to be my mother, much less my brothers' mom?" Thinking back, I wonder how scary it must also have been for her to be meeting three strangers, who she was committing to love and take care of, without knowing what she was getting into. Now that I have worked in special needs adoption, and have facilitated those "first meetings" between adoptive parents and kids, I've been able to see how the parents are nervous, scared and hoping not to be rejected...just like the kids. Anyway, it took me some time to get used to my new mom. Really, it took her proving to me that she could and would love and take care of Joe and Daniel before I allowed myself to even begin thinking about opening up my wounded heart to her. Eventually, she proved herself beyond a shadow of a doubt. I cannot tell you the exact moment that it happened, but over time I fell in love with my mother. She has become so much to me...a friend, a shoulder to cry on, an ear to vent to, a word a encouragment when I need it the most, a word of discipline when I need it, a role model for motherhood, a beacon of love and strength and most of all the best mom in the world. I cannot imagine my life without my mom...I wouldn't even want to. Her unconditional love continues to amaze me. I think the highest compliment I can give her is that I often forget she did not birth me...that's how connected I feel to her. I love you mom...happy birthday.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Now THAT'S what I want for my birthday! Love, Mama

     

Post a Comment

<< Home