Yolie's World

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Audrey

I don't even know what to write. One of my best friends (actually, I blogged about her befo9re...the one who works for DFCS and has a heart of gold) just let me know that her house burned down over the weekend. I, much liker her, have no words to express the sadness of this. Thank God she is alive and healthy, number one. Besides that, which is the most important thing, she has lost everything. I can remember just last year when she called me so excited about the house she was buying. I so admired her, because she chose not to wait around for anyone else, she bought a house as a single woman and tackled all the do-it-yourself projects with enthusiasm and glee. I can remember Chuck and I helping her paint the bedrooms, tear up carpet and plan her front yard (well, that was Chuck). She was so proud of her house. At Christmas, she put up one of those ten foot tall inflatable Grinch dolls in her yard, prouldy announcing to everyone that tackiness was fun. My friend is a gem. She pours her heart into others, often working with her foster kids until eight or nine at night, unless she has to work at the homeless shelter that night. How could this happen to her? The scariest part is that her and her roomates (also DFCS caseworkers) were all asleep when the fire began, and it was only by the grace of God that a neighbor (who was out at eight am on a saturday morning) noticed flames coming out of the roof and garage and ran over and began banging on all the windows and doors to get them out. Audrey and her roomates got out, but sadly, one of the animals did not make it. Also, they are all left with nothing but the PJ's they ran out in. Obvioiusly, this has really upset me. My mom told me I had to calm down about it, and she's right. I know Audrey wouldn't want me upset, because she's more excited about this baby than any of us. She actually has my ultrasound pictures up on her wall at work, along with belly shots of me throughout the pregnancy. Wow, now I'm about to cry. I was just at her house...she threw me a wonderful baby shower. I think the hardest thing is the realization that we nevere know what life will bring. I am so glad that I end every conversation with her with an "I love you, girl!" It's not often you find a person as amazing and genuine as Audrey. I thank God she's okay, and I pray that all the love she has shown to others will be poured back on her during this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home