Yolie's World

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Angry Little Girl

Cj helping me with laundry.
Audrey wrote a blog today that totally set me off. A birth mother has appealed her termination of parental rights, after promising she wouldn't because she knew it was best for her kids. Not only did my "eyes roll into cyberspace" but I had a moment of blind fury when I read it. It just makes me so angry that children's lives are subjected to such uncertainty and despair. No permanency, nobody to attach to, nobody to believe and no chance of getting a quick resolution so that they can begin a new life. Meanwhile, this birth mother goes about her life, with her attorney calling her every so often to inform her of the status of her case. She can continue to live her life, as she's been doing since she has not had the responsibility of her kids (others have taken that on) and her kids can continue to suffer, their future hanging in the balance because she once again chose herself and her own agenda over their wellbeing. Yes, this may sound a bit harsh. But I am not talking philosophically or theoretically, the little girl who sat in foster care and had to deal with a birth mother who continually lied and tried to manipulate the situation, has come out fighting this morning. It just is NOT FAIR. Why are kids treated like this? THEY ARE THE VICTIMS! Not the birth mother. Yes, I took all the social work classes, I know all about the cycles of poverty, abuse, etc. I know all about the social, economic and other stressors that can "cause" such situations. My answer? There are thousands of parents out there living in those situations who do not abuse, neglect or allow others to do to their children. So why do some and others don't? I think priorities play big into it. My birth mom simply chose drugs, alcohol and men over us. Many people with children get caught up in these evils, but when faced with losing their children they choose to make the kids their number one priority. They get clean, they work their caseplan, they get their kids back and regret that mistakes that caused them to lose precious time with their children. Others, like mine, and like this birth mother whose parental rights were terminated, do not. They expect others to do the work for them, and they expect to get what they want while continuing to drink, drug and put everything but their children first. Then they get on TV and complain that they were mistreated and not given enough chances. My answer...bullcrap. I know how hard it is to get parental rights terminated. It's darn near impossible most of the time. So don't give me a sob story when it happens, and please don't start to fight at the end when you've not given an ounce of effort when you had the chance. Yes, I am very angry about this subject. I do not want more Yolie's out there, having anxiety attacks at the age of eight because of the uncertainty of life. I do not want any more Yolie's out there, questioning if there really is a God at the age of ten, when my whole life seemed torn from front to back. I do not want more Yolie's out there, with tears streaming down my face as I realized that my own flesh and blood would rather her boyfriend be satisfied with her daughter than protect her. The children are the victims here...the children are the victims.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Grits Gone North said…

    This is so true. I found your blog through your mom's. It's wonderful. I can't wait to continue reading it. I'm nearing the end of my training to become an adoptive parent, and I am in awe by your courage. Thank you.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger 34quinn said…

    hi, I found your blog after looking for key word birthsister. I read a blog of yours from 2005 about how hard you were trying to have a relationship with your birthsister, I left a message there. I am having similar problems and found helpful wisdom and insight from your blog. thanks
    I am very new to blogging but I relate to much of the things you have written.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home